Re: Need help documenting Text alignment

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Need help documenting Text alignment
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:00:43 +0200

2008/6/17 Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

> Perhaps it's time to continue the thread from
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2006-01/msg00163.html ?

Indeed! \center-align is quite confusing the way it is now.
Fortunately, since the GDP policy prevents me from using the actual
command names in anywhere else than in the examples, I don't need to
wait until the commands are renamed.

> \column is left aligned. More precisely, \column aligns each line on its own
> alignment point, see below.

Then it would make sense to rename \center-align in \center-column.

> I hope you have looked at the implementation file for the markup commands,
> scm/define-markup.scm.
> It seems that the documentation string for this particular markup command
> contains also an example,
> which for some reason does not appear in Appendix B.6.2. As you can see
> there, it's identical to \column,
> except that you can specify the stacking direction.

OK.

> \halign generalize \left-align, \hcenter and \right-align.
> \general-align is even more general and can set both vertical or horizontal
> alignment.
> See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2007-02/msg00656.html
> for one
> explanation of why it can be useful (you can also view it as a feature
> request to include
> commands also for vertical bottom and top alignment).

Yes, that would be nice.

> No, \null doesn't have any vertical extent.

Then instead of always using \hspace #0 as an anchor point, we'd
better use \null.

> Searching the mailing list archives (and LSR code) should bring up some
> examples for most
> of the commands.

Yeah -- that was just me being lazy :-)

Many thanks.