Re: s vs. \skip

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: s vs. \skip
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:47:49 +0100

Carl

I'll go along with that.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 3:20 AM
Subject: s vs. \skip

In rewriting the docs on rests, I've come across s and \skip as ways to generate musical durations with no printed output.

At one point in the docs, it indicates that both s and \skip can be used to create "spacer rests".

My preference is to change the docs so that "s" creatses a spacer rest, but \skip does not. \skip simply skips musical time. The justification for this change is that \skip does not create any musical output if that's all there is. In contrast, s causes Staff and Voice contexts to be created.

Please see the GDP section on skips <http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Skips.html#Skips> and let me know if those of you who are responsible for the code agree with my statements.

I'd also like to get a better title than Skips. I think I'd prefer "Spacer Rests" or "Invisible Rests".

Carl