Re: GDP: identifiers = ick

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: identifiers = ick
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:44:45 -0700

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Identifier isn't a good term either, that is the term for the lexical
function ("an identifier a sequence of letters").

Perhaps we should just 'variable'

I thought that "macro" was safer, since we can't redefine variables. But I agree with your points against "macro".

Intuitively, forgetting about any computer or math courses, I find myself wanting to call them "variables". If somebody is trying to cause trouble, they might complain that they can't change their values, but I'll stick a sentence in the docs to say that you can't do that.

Anybody with objections to "variable" has until next Wed to voice them.

Cheers,
- Graham