Re: Copyright, new branches etc

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Copyright, new branches etc
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:11:27 -0300

2007/9/27, Ralph Little <address@hidden>:
> Sorry, some more coding questions. I've made quite a few mods to about
> 30 or so files and created a few of my own in my local git pull of
> Lilypond. It occurs to me that I should start doing it properly now ;)
>
> Should I get permission to create a new branch?

No need to get permission; if you have a git server running somewhere,
you can put it there. Otherwise, please register at savannah.gnu.org,
and ask to be added to the lilypond project.

When you've successfully pulled over ssh, you can create a new branch by doing

  git push master:dev/rlittle

Johannes, are there any more finegrined access control mechanisms to
control who can fastforward which branches? It would be cool to have
stricter control over the "main" branches so we can give easily out
lots savannah logins to work on their "dev" branches.

> For new files, what is the situation with copyright messages?
> Do I put myself or Han-Wen/Jan.

Just put yourself at the top.

wrt. licensing/copyright,
Actually Jan and I have decided that we should move to gpl v3 (despite
its flaws), and set up our foundation as license version proxy. If
someone is interested in sorting the issues with us, please give us a
note.

> Also, should I extend the copyright period to 2007 for files that I am
> modifying?

IIRC, we already do this every year in january.

> Any other things that I should be aware of?

Yes: the performer framework is much more limited than the engraver
framework. I hope you do not need to have Scheme level tweakabilty.
However, these issues will be more clearer when we have some code to
review.