Re: Related to GDP

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Related to GDP
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:04:47 -0700

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Related to what I just wrote in my email on "GDP - Learning Manuall Songs section", I hereby volunteer to write an introduction to the art of setting properties in LilyPond. The intention is just to provide a first overview of the different options available.

Would this be replacing LM 6.1 - 6.3, or adding new material / new sections? (in the 2.11 docs, that would be 5.1 - 5.3)

6.1 is obviously broken right now, of course.

Another general concern about this is just what stays in "Changing defaults" and what moves into the learning manual. I wasn't planning on investigating this for another few months, though.

One reason not to include it into the learning manual, is that some
of the options that I will list, may seem very exotic to a new user. On the other hand, from my experience of questions on the mailing list, I know that many "somewhat experienced" users would benefit a lot from
such an overview.

I'd still prefer it in the LM. IMHO, it isn't a bad thing for new users to be exposed to some "very exotic" tweaks -- I mean, I introduce scheme programming in the LM! As long as it's clear that this is a optional tweak, I'm not too concerned about complexity.

Cheers,
- Graham