Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical exa

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: For future 2.14 doc discussion -- increasingly realistic musical examples
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 18:25:50 +0200

2007/9/2, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> Trevor Bača wrote:
> > I think what Graham's wanting to try out to get started is a beautiful
> > example per major *section* of the manual rather than per minor
> > *subsection*.
> >
> Yes, absolutely.

Hmmm... Does it means that Trevor's Debussy examples are not to be
added? I must have missed something in the discussion; I thought
wherever we could find "nice" and simple examples, the current manual
examples could be replaced with those.

(Just to make something clear: when I talked about Mozart or Chopin, I
meant four-measures examples, nothing more).

> > So with that in mind I've started thinking more about "what one
> > snippet would best show off contemporary notation as a whole" rather
> > than "what snippet would show off polymetric notation", etc.

OK, this is a different kind of examples (what I called "non-verbatim"
examples). It's more about demonstrating features than "teaching" how
to do it simply, isnt'it? (As I already said, both verbatim and
non-verbatim examples are welcome.)

> If each snippet is a single staff of three-five measures, we could fit
> four of them.  I think.  Don't go overboard, but we could certainly
> stick two short snippets in there.

I mentioned Han-Wen's "screech and boink" example, which had impressed
me as a teenager; I think very short examples can be more impressive,
and more efficient -- how about:
-One system from a Stockhausen Klavierstücke
-One system from a Grisey ensemble piece
-possibly one system from a graphical Cage piece (to demonstrate clusters, etc.)
Valentin