Re: bar counters

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: bar counters
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 13:46:51 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes

In orchestral parts it is quite common to have bar counters like this:

Very late response, I know :-)

          1         2         3         4

      c r g r | c r g r | c r g r | c r g r |

         cresc.  -   -   -   -   -  f

Currently, lilypond provides automatic bar counting for repeats only.
It would be great if we can have this feature for normal music also,
something like this:

     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOn
     c r g\< r |
     c r g r |
     c r g r |
     c\f r g r |
     \tag #'tuba \barCounterOff

The current workaround, namely to use overlayed invisible percent
repeaters, is not very elegant...

Any chance that this gets implemented quickly?  Otherwise I'll add it
to the Google item list as a feature request.

Please also add a feature to make the number visible/invisible. A lot of the music I see starts counting on the first bar, but only starts displaying the counter about, say, bar 4.

A typical occurrence for me is, say, 8 bars rest where the cue is written out. It'll start counting about bar 5.

Alternatively, you could add an option whereby you tell \barCounterOn what number to start counting at.

  Werner

Cheers,
Wol
--