Re: LSR

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LSR
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 14:26:55 -0700

On 7-Jul-05, at 10:47 AM, Erik Sandberg wrote:

On Thursday 07 July 2005 12.14, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
In contrast to non-trick-worthy? For example, I find most of the
examples in the current Regression Test very useful as Tips and Tricks
as well.

If we would integrate all of LSR into the manual, it would also mean that we would have to maintain all those snippets. Therefore, it might be good to
moderate the collection somehow.

As far as maintaining them... I'm not too concerned.  AFAIK we don't
really maintain the input/test/ stuff. If somebody points out that something isn't working, we fix it, but we don't go looking for mistakes. Having a lot
of user traffic on LSR would be a step up.

I like the moderation, though; I could imagine using four or five different
levels:
1- example came from the manual.  We don't include it anywhere in our
generated docs, but they're still in the snippet tarball, and could be
included in grepping.
2- example came from input/regression. This is a bit tricky, since I don't
think that the programmers want to deal with updating LSR whenever
they want to add a test case.  My instinct is to leave input/regression/
alone. If LSR wants to include them, fine, but I think that input/regression/
and LSR-level 2 stuff would get out of sync.
3- easy tricks  (mostly from input/test/, but new stuff as well)
4- advanced tricks
%% we either guess at "easy" and "hard", or split it into "non-scheme" and %% "scheme" tricks, or something. Currently input/test/ isn't too big, but
%%  since LSR is going to be a huge success, we're going to get tons of
%%  extra snippets, so we should plan for future expansion.  :)
5-  long tricks

Cheers,
- Graham