Re: removed bugs from lily-bugs

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: removed bugs from lily-bugs
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:04:14 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Erik Sandberg wrote:

> And the interest of closed bugs has made me decide to keep closed bugs in the
> future, probably in the lilypond-bugs/closed/ directory. This would work even
> better for this purpose; just browse that directory for the bug.

Just having recently noticed that the closing notification of a bug is to be
written in lilypond/ChangeLog, I have to say that you are doing well!

> > Also, ChangeLog is like a guest book: it collects comments from the
> > developers -- sometimes even feelings of the programming.
>
> This does however not apply here. It will only contain comments like
> foo added.
> bar closed.
> etc. And basically everything will be written by me.
>
> btw, is there an automated way to create changelogs in conjunction with
> writing commit messages in CVS? All changelogs look quite standardised; so i
> just suppose the process is automatised somehow.
>
> (if I have to do something manually, then I'm still not convinced that it's a
> good idea)

I used Emacs at some point, but found it for some (unknown) reason rather
slow .. then switched back to just copy-pasting the previous lines and
editing them. On the other hand, writing a ChangeLog entry takes only a small
fraction compared the time needed to make the actual change in the code.
When writing an entry, it is also the last point to check whether the change
is a real improvement and to understand the change made.

> > In the end I have a guesting to the bug-meister. How to decide between a
> > feature request and a bug? In other words, should some feature request be
> > collected into the bug collections? This is how it is done with bugzilla.
>
> I have decided to handle bugs only, though a few reports which are more
> feature requests than bugs have been added as well. Anyone who is interested
> in maintaining a feature request list is very much welcome to do so, and in
> that case the lily-bugs repository is probably a good place to keep this
> list. There was a discussion on this topic last week:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-05/msg00119.html
>
> Erik

Good decision. I'll file you a bug ;) and leave this question of feature
requests open.  The best timing for a feature request is when it is easiest
to put the feature in the code.  That requires, however, some insight and
specification work.

  Heikki Junes