Re: Why not to implement everything in scheme?

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Why not to implement everything in scheme?
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:06:11 -0700

Julian Squires wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:01:17PM +0200, Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:
Why not to implement everything in scheme and get rid of gcc -compiling of the
source? Or, is it the lexical parser which forces the use of gcc?

Let's not forget that scheme can be compiled into fast code (see bigloo
etc).  I'd love to see lilypond become 100% scheme (or, in my
preference, common lisp, simply for the standard environment... also,
some of the compilers still seem to produce faster code).  But I suspect
that would be a rather mammoth undertaking.
Bigloo produces C code which would then have to be compiled with gcc anyway.

Paul