[Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 1670 di

From: Auto mailings of changes to Lily Issues
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] [LilyIssues-auto] [testlilyissues:issues] Ticket 1670 discussion
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 23:02:28 +0000

Indeed, with issue 4797 and several earlier parser changes, the first of these options (violin.1) does work, although in a slightly different way by creating an alist. (Which may have side effects, and the corresponding \violin.1 cannot be used in all situations where \violin can be used.)
Still, I think this issue is reasonably covered by that, and the topic is on the TODO-list for the mythical GLISS, which might still happen one day.
So I vote for closing the issue.

[issues:#1670] Allow numbers in variable names: violin.1.mvt.2 = c'

Created: Fri May 27, 2011 11:59 AM UTC by Anonymous
Last Updated: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 PM UTC
Owner: nobody

Originally created by: *anonymous

Originally created by: address@hidden

Users often request variable names including numbers or underscores
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-05/msg00177.html)

1) It is not too hard for the lexer, which breaks input into tokens, to accept backslashed variable names with various characters.
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2004-03/msg00124.html)

We could then use something like:
   "violin1" = { c d e }
   \new Staff \violin1
but what do we really want to allow in variable names?

I don't think underscores are a good idea, because both human and computer could be confused:
c^\slide_1 % is that slide on the first finger or did somebody define \slide_1 ?

Ending in a number would require we enforce the space after a command (and convert-ly old scores) for cases like  \times2/3{c d e}

2) There is considerable difficulty in telling Lilypond to be ready for the definition of a variable that looks somewhat like, because the grammar allows un-braced music expressions and user-defined functions.
  \mySpecialAfterGrace do1 re2 mo3 = fa2

Lily would need to know how many arguments \MySpecialAfterGrace takes to know whether she needs to look up 'mo' as the name of a pitch in some language.
Either that, or tentatively read through to the '=' and then back up when she realized 'mo' was not a mis-typed note name.

(2) might be impossible, but maybe users want \violin1 badly enough to use quotes around it in the definition, as I did above?

Sent from sourceforge.net because address@hidden is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/