[Lilypond-auto] Issue 3667 in lilypond: syntax error in `midi2ly --previ

From: lilypond
Subject: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3667 in lilypond: syntax error in `midi2ly --preview' output
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 20:56:13 +0000

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Scripts

New issue 3667 by address@hidden: syntax error in `midi2ly --preview' output

[release/2.17.30-1-1-gcb421d6]

Trying this input file

  http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/images/a/a0/Perotin_Viderunt_Omnes_Sib5.mid

with

  midi2ly --preview Perotin_Viderunt_Omnes_Sib5.mid

gives this error:

  Perotin_Viderunt_Omnes_Sib5-midi.ly:41:11:
    error: syntax error, unexpected '-', expecting UNSIGNED or FRACTION
  \skip 4*
          -9

Without `--preview', the file can be parsed correctly.

However, the (admittedly crazy) output of midi2ly then takes an incredible time if processed with lilypond. Lilypond tries to fit everything on 17 or 18 pages, with zillions of warnings; it took almost 40 minutes to reach this point on my old laptop – far, far longer than a big orchestral piece with more than 100 pages, BTW. After the following `Drawing Systems' message, the needed amount of memory suddenly increases extremely, and lilypond eventually aborts with

  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
    what():  std::bad_alloc

My 3GB of main memory isn't sufficient, apparently. I'm not sure whether this qualifies as a bug or even a problem, but IMHO a piece with four voices and just a few words of lyrics shouldn't behave like that...