Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3521 in lilypond: lyrics/extenders alignment w

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3521 in lilypond: lyrics/extenders alignment with chords shouldn't depend on note input order
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:44:47 +0000

Comment #6 on issue 3521 by address@hidden: lyrics/extenders alignment with chords shouldn't depend on note input order

You are right, normally vocal music doesn't have chords, and normally separate voices are combined together for vocal music. But it does happen occasionally in choral music that the one of the voice parts splits into two lines (they call it divisi; see http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textd/Divisi.html ). In these cases, often the best solution is to use a chord construct, especially if you're using \partcombine which can only hold two voices and is by that point already maxed out. The workaround is simple enough, but it would be nice if LilyPond just got it right the first time.

Feel free to merge issues or whatever, but *I* would like to see this fixed. And although I don't really know, I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to tweak the code to achieve it. Though the basic idea of David Nalesnik's approach (documented in Issue 2245, comment #1) seems to me not robust enough; it assumes the chords have at most 2 notes.

- Mark