Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3186 in lilypond: Positioning of "8" under cle

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 3186 in lilypond: Positioning of "8" under clef symbol in G_8 clef
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:52:19 +0000

Comment #1 on issue 3186 by address@hidden: Positioning of "8" under clef symbol in G_8 clef

There are two ways of dealing with that:
a) design all clefs such that centered octave specifiers end up perfectly positioned
b) add specialized glyph metrics for positioning the octave specifiers
I think we should forget about the specilized metrics since they won't work when LilyPond fonts are used elsewhere.

So what "design ..." and "centered" mean? The lower example is better centered than it looks. So what we should be doing: a) shift the subscript by its italic correction to the left in addition to baseline centering b) shifting superscripts by the italic correction of the clef glyph to the right

That adjusts for the visual offset of italics (and, after all, different fonts are slanted differently).

Hopefully, we can design the clef glyph in a way that it does not need an italic correction itself, namely that its attachment points are on a vertical line. But if we can't, we can make use of the rather generic "italic correction" glyph property.