Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesigna

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Issue 2783 in lilypond: wrong placement of timesignature
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:59:19 +0000

Comment #8 on issue 2783 by address@hidden: wrong placement of timesignature

Well, "centre-of-staff" does not really have a dependable definition for irregular stafflines, does it? "normal staff extended temporarily" would _definitely_ benefit from using 0 as a default as then the time signature would not move around when the staff is being extended.

Staff_symbol::line_positions calculates (-3 -1 1 3) for a 4-line staff and (-5 -3 -1 1 3 5) for a 6-line staff unless explicit line positions are given.

plainchant does not take time signatures as far as I know. For (-4 0 4), the 0 position does not seem unreasonable for the time signature.

I don't doubt your experience as a musician. I just don't follow the programmatic conclusions you draw from it.

Also as a programmer and user interface designer: if it is not possible to pick the correct solution 100% of the time, the next best thing is to pick a _predictable_ solution that can easily be adjusted. An override on Staff.TimeSignature #'Y-offset will do just that.