lightning

Re: [Lightning] Re: Stack register control?

From: Eli Barzilay
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Re: Stack register control?
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:37:47 -0400

On Sep 30, Sandro Magi wrote:
> On 9/30/07, Eli Barzilay <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > than Lightning.  File sizes were also a problem -- the size is
> > usually not an issue when you have a 1mb library, but with an
> > executable size of 1.8mb it does become a point of consideration.
>
> I'm curious, what's the Lightning code generator size for your 1.8MB
> executable? As I mentioned before, code generator size has a
> significant impact on performance due to cache residency; if your
> whole code generator can fit in cache, code generation speed would
> be incredible, which is quite important to multi-staged languages
> for example.

The 1.8mb is the size of our excutable, which implements the language
(MzScheme).  Things that are defined in the language get jitted
(through lightnin), and are not included in the executable itself.
If we'd jit through LLVM, then the executable would need to include it
too.  (The 1.8mb includes the lightning-based jitter now.)