[Libunwind-devel] "C++ exception handling doesn't work too well on x86"

From: Billy Donahue
Subject: [Libunwind-devel] "C++ exception handling doesn't work too well on x86"
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:22:59 -0400

Hi all,

Libunwind's configure.ac says that "C++ exception handling doesn't work too well on x86" and so ./configure defaults to --disable_cxx_exceptions for x86* (as on aarch64,arm,mips,tile).

I'd love to know a little more about the problem, and whether it's safe to override this default and enable the flag anyway. Is it just a stale comment? We are looking at using libunwind for emitting local stack traces, and we use a lot of exceptions.

Thanks,
  Billy Donahue