Re: [Libunwind-devel] WIP patch: configurable cache size

From: Arun Sharma
Subject: Re: [Libunwind-devel] WIP patch: configurable cache size
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 08:34:49 -0700

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Milian Wolff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> attached you find the current state of my proof-of-concept patch for a
> configurable cache size. I'd like to get early feedback if possible, as I'm
> very new to libunwind's codebase and coding style. Also, I usually write C++
> code, so I more or less just copied other C code and may have misunderstood a
> few things here and there. The patch is also missing a proper test and
> documentation, something I'll try to remedy in the coming days.

GNU coding style isn't my usual coding style either :) Let's worry
about the logic/interface first.
Your changes look reasonable, some comments below:

* {L,G}set_cache_log_size.c - I didn't see this file in the patch.
* Does it make sense to add a new file or just add it to the existing
*caching_policy.c?
* global vs thread local vs none should be based on the caching
policy. It's possible that this is what you've done.
* s/unthreaded/global/
* > unw_set_cache_log_size - why not unw_set_cache_size() and then
round up to the nearest power of 2?

Looking forward to the full patch.

 -Arun