libtool

Setting bindir = libdir for MinGW

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Setting bindir = libdir for MinGW
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2022 16:17:19 -0800

Hello libtool-

I have an autotools-using package. On a MinGW build, I want distribute
an application that has been installed into a single folder, so I can
tar it up and send it.  I can do it this way without difficulty

libdir  /opt/PROGRAM/lib
bindir  /opt/PROGRAM/bin

Because when a MinGW DLL is installed by libtool, the libfoo.lib.a
goes into $libdir and the libfoo.dll goes into $libdir/../bin, which
happens to be $bindir

But I was hoping to install it this way, which is pretty common for
Windows.

libdir  /opt/PROGRAM
bindir  /opt/PROGRAM

This doesn't work because then the DLL still goes into $libdir/../bin,
which is /opt/bin instead of /opt/PROGRAM

In the context of an autotools-using build, there some way to force
libtool to install a DLL into $bindir when $bindir equals $libdir?

Thanks,
Mike Gran