libtool

Re: libtool versioning and ABI

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool versioning and ABI
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:09:54 +0200

* Michel Briand wrote on Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 07:53:50PM CEST:
> Yes non-Linux system will have a different scheme. But if libtool wants
> to help I'm sure a little more documentation could easier the task :).

> # create shared lib
> mylib_la_LDFLAGS = -version-info $(MYLIB_LTVERSION)
>
> This last variable is crafted to reflect the usual versioning. I.e. if
> I want the version to 1.22.5, I must put 23:5:22 in the _LTVERSION
> variable (effectively doing substractions ;^^).

But you are fooling yourself and your users that your version is 1.22.5,
because it isn't.  It only comes out that way on GNU/Linux.  You cannot
have the same version number on different systems while using
-version-info, the other systems' semantics simply can not all be mapped
to the same set of numbers (within the scheme that Libtool uses).

Cheers,
Ralf