libtool

Re: [article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-co

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: [article] trimming down autoconf's configure scripts by using pkg-config
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:23:27 -0700

Enrico,

Interesting article. I disagree with your sentiment that autotools is poorly designed. Poorly documented perhaps, but it's actually very well designed. The reason that feature tests are used instead of platform feature databases is that feature tests will work on as-yet-unknown platforms, where databases have to be written for each platform using the database paradigm.

Check out my response to your article at my blog entitled Open Sourcery:

   http://jcalcote.wordpress.com/2006/03/24/autotools

John

John Calcote
Sr. Software Engineer
801.861.7517

>>> "Enrico 'nekrad' Weigelt" <address@hidden> 3/22/2006 10:55:18 am >>>

Hi folks,

here's a little article I wrote about an approach for encapsulating
platform dependent stdc-lib fixes (ie. some platforms have broken
string handling, etc) behind pkg-config.

It is mostly directed on autoconf (It is the one I have most of my
daily trouble with), but of course the approach works with other
buildsystems, even plain make, too.

The permanent URL of the article:

* http://www.metux.de/articles/coding/trimming-down-autoconf-with-pkg-config

I'm also currently working on concrete wrapper packages:

* http://wiki.metux.de/public/OSS_QM_Taskforce/projects/stdc-pkgconfig

Comments and suggestions please to the Maillist:

address@hidden

Thanks.

Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  phone:     +49 36207 519931         www:       http://www.metux.de/