libtool

No-longer LT_GLOBAL-using libltdl problem, seeking suggestions

From: Paul Hampson
Subject: No-longer LT_GLOBAL-using libltdl problem, seeking suggestions
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:26:47 +1000

(This is also Debian bug #244578 [1] since the Debian libtool
maintainers have pulled this change into the 1.5.6 release to fix other
issues.)

Basically, FreeRADIUS loads its modules based on being enabled in the
configuration file. However, one of the modules needs to pull in the
symbols (many of them) from one of the other modules. The module loader
won't load the second module if the first isn't configured, so up until
recently this has been fine.

However, with the removal of LT_GLOBAL from libltdl, the symbols of the
first module (rlm_eap_tls) are no longer directly available to the
second module (rlm_eap_ttls). Attempting to lt_dlopen the first module
from the second doesn't work, and having just tried to wrap my head
around the libtool code, I see that's because it doesn't recall dlopen
on modules it already has a handle on.

I guess I have two questions: Would simply recalling dlopen on the
module allow me to drag the first module's symbols back into second
module?  (This would localise the fix for this issue to libltdl)

Or, is there some other way to dynamically tell libltdl to resolve
symbols from the second library using the first library. (I did try
linking the second library directly against the first, but they build in
different directories but are installed into the same one, and I ended
up with a .la file with -L/home/tbble/... in it, and no success. I also
suspect this will load _another_ copy of the module into memory, and it
will not be initialised (maybe... unconfirmed) and therefore unusable.
This solution is hampered by the fact we're on autoconf2.13 and
libtool1.4, and not using automake, so the example in the other Debian
bug report [2] didn't help a lot. If this is the only way, I will
endeavour to make it work.)

I'm not subscribed to the email list, so feel free to CC me in response,
or I will check the web-archives next time I have time to wrestle with
this problem.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/244578
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/241865
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
address@hidden

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.