libreplanet-discuss

Re: Minds.com

From: Ron Nazarov
Subject: Re: Minds.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 00:33:49 +0100

On 21/09/2023 00:27, Valentino Giudice wrote:
It attempts at decentralizing, but its attempts are IMHO mostly
unsuccessful.

What do you mean?
<https://developers.minds.com/docs/decentralization/activitypub/> seems to indicate that it supports ActivityPub.

However, as a centralized platform, I think it aligns with the
principles of the free software community (including freedom of speech
and transparency, beyond just software freedom) more so than other
platforms, including also X, which the FSF currently uses.

Why would we want a centralized platform?

In some ways it's better than the Mastodon ecosystem because most
Mastodon instances are small and unreliable and have rules that are
restrictive beyond necessary.

You can run your own instance with less restrictive rules. That's one of the advantages of decentralization.

Apart from the non-free CAPTCHA, it also seems to have some cryptocurrency nonsense built in: <https://www.minds.com/token>. That page also indicates that it has "premium features" and advertising.