Re: The beast is live - Github Copilot

From: Jorge P . de Morais Neto
Subject: Re: The beast is live - Github Copilot
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 11:48:39 -0300

Hi.  I reply below:

Em [2022-06-24 sex 17:13:47-0400], Shironeko escreveu:

>> Is copilot something only github can offer?  If the vast majority of
>> training data is from public repo that anyone can access, perhaps the
>> only thing stopping people from making something similar is the
>> computing power to convert the data to weights?
>
> and a bilion dollar lawyer team.

I suppose there are ways to avoid the need for an expensive lawyer team.
One measure would be actually licensing the model's output under a
license compatible with that of the training data.

Regards

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts; this causes more
  injustice.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>