Re: federated free software movement

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:46:14 -0500 (EST)

It is a question of giving and getting mutual support - and also getting more
people used to the idea of using Free Software tools and possibly contributing
to them instead of making more proprietary stuff.

The FSF has recently been pushing the concept of the 'Freedom Ladder' as a
series of steps to help people move from the non-free world to the free one, or
as far in that direction as they feel comfortable.  I see a federated movement
as part of the 'on-ramp' to the Freedom Ladder, and that one doesn't encourage
folks to keep climbing it if unwilling to accept folks at whatever level they
feel OK about it...

(I see the Libreplanet list and similar as being at the upper rungs of the
ladder BTW...)

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>