Re: federated free software movement

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 08:33:36 +0000

On 14/11/2021 20:27, Thomas Lord wrote:

I think the FSF should have gone in this direction a long
time ago.

I think it is a very good idea to add to what you described:

a. Distributed decentralized business models that are NOT
    "getting paid to program" or "getting paid to contribute
    to a software development project".

b. Those business models aimed at spreading the personal
    use of free software, and enjoyment of software freedom,
    by people who don't program or who don't identify
    as programmers

c. That includes both service and HW provisioning components.

d. These businesses should be designed to keep product prices
    low, to increase accessibility -- yet include enough of a
    human element to be hard to reproduce at large scale.

e. The businesses should achieve real economies of scale through ...
    federation.

Trivial boring example: Entry level desktops, preloaded, with
support -- and a federation of those businesses that cooperates
freely to maintain the shared distribution they use.

Of course, that kind of thing can be infinitely specialized -- e.g.
a federation of small businesses that provide DAWs (music production
and performance software).

The idea is to make enough money to live comfortably without
trying to hoard software, supporting a lifestyle of cooperating
on maintaining and extending that software freely.

-t
+1

We could add to this that the environmental impact is that we also get to use older hardware longer, I think there is some research somewhere on the cost making new laptops vs using older laptops for longer until they just stop working.

I know there are movements such as free cycle that that take hardware and recycle it, this also creates jobs etc.

Paul

What if there was a combined Free Software, OSHW and Right to Repair
   group, providing ideological leadership in a peer to peer fashion via
   federated services (including Git-based code hosting) and an emphasis
   on teaching how to self-host your own federated hosting infrastructure?

   I'm discussing this on my twitter too:
   [1]https://twitter.com/n4of7/status/1459522798892859399

   And on Mastodon. [2]https://mas.to/@libreleah/107270135261193137

   However, I'm also seeking discussion here on this list.

   I wish to gauge the public's response before I proceed for real. Plus,
   I intend to bring people onboard to help me start this new initiative.