Re: federated free software movement

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: Re: federated free software movement
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 14:16:24 -0500 (EST)

As I said, I was only using 'purity' for lack of a better term...  One of the
issues that I see is that there isn't always a Free (as in source code, might
or might not be free as in beer) solution, or one that doesn't involve
significant sacrifices...

As one example we know there is a lot of PC hardware that either only works w/
binary blobs, or where the Free drivers don't work as well as the non-free
ones...  Or hardware like the RasPi that is nominally open, but needs blobs for
some of it's functions.

In other cases there is NO non-free alternative...  The programming software
for my power chair (which is bootleg / pirated BTW) only runs on a Windows box,
and is closed source....  I have to choose between non-free software, or being
stuck w/ the crappy OEM settings... (Which is why I have a few air-gapped
Windows boxes, and GNU/Linux boxes that run Zoom, MS Teams, and so forth...)

As such, coming at folks w/ an attitude of 'proprietary is evil and only Free
solutions are acceptable' is not going to win friends...  We need to be willing
to say that partially free / open is better than totally locked down, even if
it needs proprietary tools...

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>
---MUCH TRIMMED---------