Re: Support RMS

From: Danny Spitzberg
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:39:30 -0700

   Ali, mocking is disgusting. I don’t think you should do that.

   On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 10:37 AM Ali Reza Hayati <[1]arh@gnu.org>
   wrote:

     Do you guys follow football? I mean the real football, not
     Amerikkkan
     one. There's a club in Spain named Barcelona. They have a player in
     their team named Leo Messi. I think many of you know him.
     Messi is believed to be one of the best football players in the
     history.
     During time, some people accused Messi of sexual assault and
     harassment.
     They even went to court for it and sued Messi. It turned out that
     all of
     them were only doing this for money, hoping that Leo Messi gives
     them
     some ransom.
     There's another player named Cristiano Ronaldo. Ronaldo is almost as
     same as Messi. He is again believed to be one of the bests in the
     history. He also was accused of sexual harassment and assault.
     Again,
     some people went to court and sued him, etc.
     Some of the accusers never went to court but they tell very
     interesting
     stories on how they were assaulted. There were no proof and the
     teams
     (Barcelona and Real Madrid) never responded.
     I can't tell if those players who have a reputation of good behavior
     and
     charity and social work were really offenders or not, but I can tell
     one
     thing. Barca and Madrid didn't let go of their best players because
     of
     some unproven accusations.
     I remember Leo Messi once attacked a journalist physically because
     he
     was very angry but again, he made up to that, apologized, and never
     repeated such behavior because he was aware of how it can affect
     people.
     Again, we didn't see any effort to ban Messi from playing football
     completely because that mistake.
     I'm a football fan. I'm a fan of Manchester United, neither of those
     teams I mentioned but I never ever campaigned to throw out Messi and
     Ronaldo for unproven accusations.
     I did not expect those teams to simply fire probably the best player
     of
     their history because some people said so.
     Do you get my analogy here? I hear stories about an autistic person
     named RMS that he has assaulted women, harassed them, or sexually
     abused
     them. When I go and read the stories, I see what Stallman did was to
     "upset" some people. Not harassment, not assault, but upset.
     Stallman shouted at some people or interrupted them while speaking.
     He
     hit on women or asked them out and insisted on that, which made them
     uncomfortable. If he was doing to me, I would be upset too, but I
     wouldn't ever accuse him of assault or harassment. I wouldn't expect
     FSF
     to fire its probably most valuable player that is known for his
     charity,
     effort for equality, justice, women's rights, etc.
     Why people expect FSF to fire its probably best player in history? I
     don't understand that.
     What people explain is not sexual harassment. He was an unpleasant
     person, maybe, to some people but he didn't do anything to harass
     them.
     Let me give you another example. There's a different between patting
     some child on the butt and pedophilia. Now a pedophile most-probably
     does pat children on the butt but are all people who do that
     pedophiles?
     Hell no.
     Please don't accuse people of what they didn't do because they made
     you
     uncomfortable or were unpleasant. If someone shouts at you, defend
     yourself or if the act of shouting makes you psychologically hurt,
     please be very very careful when you come out of your home because
     you
     may experience it almost every time.
     If someone hitting on you makes you uncomfortable, ask them not to
     do
     that or ask security to help you but don't accuse that person of
     harassment because looking at someone or being weird is not
     harassment.
     And again, please be careful when you come out of your house because
     you
     may experience it every day.
     If someone interrupts you, ask them not to do that or argue back but
     don't accuse that person of harassment because they didn't harass
     you
     with that. Harassment is different. And please be careful when you
     come
     out of your house because people may interrupt you every day.
     Stop with accusing people of things when they didn't do that.
     Also, please don't accuse me of sexual harassment because I wrote
     this
     note. I don't even know any of you and I did not harass you.
     Disagreeing
     with you is not harassment. Sending email messages is not assault.
     I had to clarify that because as far as I've seen you people, the
     next
     open letter would've been for me. Don't start arh-open-letter
     please.
     And yes, I'm mocking some people.
     --
     Ali Reza Hayati ([2]https://alirezahayati.com)
     Libre culture activist and privacy advocate