Re: Helping new contributors

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Helping new contributors
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:24:27 +0300

* Paul Sutton <paulsutton@disroot.org> [2021-04-09 15:07]:
> > Which software in particular?
>
> Who ever needs help

Then please look here:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

and here:
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/

> Cool thanks, could be a good place to list my study support group,
> granted it is not all computing but there are more and more elements
> of computer / data science in other subjects, so basic coding is
> needed. If I can bring people together that will help.

You wish to bring people together mainly online or physically?

> I am saying i am not going to use facebook hence I want to use discourse,
> irc, etc,   My point is, that while discourse may not be 100 percent free
> software  it s better than facebook.

Why is Discourse not free software? To me it looks it is:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse so what is the issue with discourse?

There is plethora of other free software self-hosted forums:
https://hyperscope.link/3/6/8/8/4/Awesome-Self-hosted-Software-36884.html#social-networks-and-forums

> I just hope the EU hit them with a nice massive fine for this,  people use
> facebook and can't get off it, (mentally that is) so what ever facebook
> does,  won't change that mindset.

Some people complained that they did not give permission to publish
phone numbers, and they were still published, and scraped.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/