Re: Support RMS

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 17:40:48 +0100

I agree with you we should take feedback seriously, however:

Georgia's line is exceptionally important: "…the fact that he faced consequences for his creepy Epdtein-adjacent comments and not the
decades of shitty behavior…"

These are not people who are dogpiling on hearsay or gotcha online statements or whatever else. Those anti-patterns do indeed happen, and they polluted and harmed the credibility of the recent open letter against RMS. But here we have people who fully understand the unfairness and yet can express from extensive personal experience the *actual*
reasons why RMS's leadership is problematic.

In the same Twitter thread, she also told people that she signed the "open letter", which is based on hearsay and gotcha online statements.

As someone who deeply and profoundly respects RMS for various reasons, I still don't just simply support his leadership role. I do not want him banished, I want him to learn and do better on his pain points. I don't want to be naive though, efforts in this direction have obviously been
done for years and not been enough.

I would like to continue to get RMS' insightful and pointed perspectives without having him lead the organization. I would like him to live in the zone where his genius most thrives and he contributes the most, and I suggest that the other roles he has had would be better filled by others.

If we do not take a stand against character assassination, we may lose the organisation and RMS's ability to provide insightful and pointed perspectives.

If we want a resilient movement, we need to be really open to engaging with complaints. An organization that defends the status quo against such critics is like the NSA attacking Ed Snowden and people insinuating that Snowden is working for Russia (similar to people talking about how Deb now works for the OSI and the OSI is connected to corporations).

I'm not suggesting deference to the outside unfair critics, the people who do indeed levy unfair attacks, mine quotes, spread FUD, etc. That
stuff can be real, and we need to defend against it.

But people like Deb are our whistleblowers, they are insiders who are
bringing attention to serious issues. If we ignore or attack
whistleblowers, we will fail to learn important lessons. This attitude
can be fatal to a movement.

This is a terrible analogy. Ed Snowden was risking his life spearheading a fight against a powerful government body, but accusing a person from a safe distance while that person is being attacked in all directions is a different matter.

In solidarity,
Aaron Wolf
(FSF member since 2014, co-founder of Snowdrift.coop)

Again, I agree that we need all perspectives and we should value all feedback, including those from Deb and Georgia that are not based on falsehood. But I also don't think it is helpful to raise concerns about someone who is besieged.