Re: Support RMS

From: Ali Reza Hayati
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 19:07:31 +0430

On 26/03/2021 18:56, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

However, if you use the wrong pronoun once and get corrected, then do it again and keep getting it wrong. That could be construed as you not listening or respecting that person.

Yes. That is disrespectful but assault? I don't think so.

We live in a society that meant to be equal, which is why women can join the Armed forces, along side men, join the police, in both cases we all bring our individuality to the job,  their own traits, strengths and weaknesses.  Which we have regardless of our gender.

Exactly for that reason, that's not sexism. Men and women are equal so they should be treated equally with justice. Just because someone is man or woman, that doesn't make them valuable. Some women are less valuable in some matters than men, and some men are less valuable than women in some matters. It's just a work thing not humanitarian thing. I run a company in which all my high ranking employees are women. Not a single man in my company did prove to have ability to have responsibilities I gave o my women employees. Am I now sexist towards men?

Sometimes, you should ignore the gender/sex and just treat people as humans.

Here in the UK, we have an equality act. This DOES have provisions for gender specific roles, such as a female worker to work with a female with physical / learning disabilities for example.

A female or male officer may work with victims of sexual assault / rape or other sexual crimes that is gender specific.

Procedures need to be in place to make people feel safe,  this is not simply the people around you, it is down to the room layout,  it can also be non verbal language,  how we position our hands while talking. Not because we HAVE to do that, but because it is the right thing to do for everyone.

If you talk to a young child you get to their level, face to face at a distance so you don't tower above them, you respect the personal space of others,  (not just in the current social distancing context),

You generally have no idea what the other persons personal history is, so a small thing to you, may actually be quite a lot to them.

Lets move forward and build a community that is welcoming and respectful.

I fully agree with what you said. However, I don't see any conflict here between what you say and what I defend. I still stand with RMS in this specific matter.

Paul