Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 22:23:46 +0300

* al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> [2020-10-01 21:23]:
> Better to stay on the general level of the subject of the
> thread, which is the (alleged) decline of copyleft and free software in
> general.

Well, said, easily alleged, hardly proven.

> In my opinion this is an important subject to be discussed, but it is in
> part limiting and therefore misleading.
>
> In fact, I believe that the really relevant aspect is not whether and how
> a decline in copyleft and free software in general is taking place today
> (which seems quite evident to me), but if there is a progressive and
> perhaps irreversible failure of the ***ethical*** purposes for which free
> software was born; and if it is (as I believe it is), it is important to
> discuss and understand ***how and why*** this is happening and what the
> ***countermeasures*** may be.

There is no decline. Whoever said that in this thread, does not
interpret well the statistics, it was me who found the link, and then
I did not understand what they talk about.

Then when looking better, it was clear that there are more and more
GPL licensed software on GITHUB.

Yet some will interpret the larger number of MIT-style licenses as
"decline of GPL". It is clearly wrong.

Both MIT and GPL are improving, none of them are declining.