Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 13:43:55 -0400

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> writes:

[...]
> Kindness & politeness are more appropriate, when someone is kind and
> polite in the first place.

Go re-read OP's post.  It starts out with:

,----
| I read "Free as in Freedom" by Richard Stallman and am a strong
| supporter of GNU project. I strongly want it to succeed.
`----

And ends with "GO GNU!".  I think that's more than kind and polite
enough for the folks here, and is most certainly more kindness and
politeness you have shown in your replies.

> When someone spouts bullshit with assumed authority - nah, IMO,
> neither kindness nor politeness are called for.  If anything,
> tit-for-tat is the appropriate response.

Oh sweet irony!  I hope you do realize that these exact two sentences
apply verbatim to your own posts.

> Now, if the OP had started with a slightly more humble attitude, and
> asked questions - that would have been a different situation.
>
> Miles Fidelman

The OP started out with expressing their support for GNU, and tried to
start a discussion about a topic important to them; if perhaps somewhat
misinformed at the best, and at worst hypothetically adversary to the
ideals of GNU.  Which again, is highly unlikely, given the opening and
closing of OP's email I cited above.  You then proceeded to reply and
personally attack the OP, rather than politely criticize/address their
idea, in hope of clearing any misconceptions they may have.  This kind
of behaviour has no place on this list.

Again, please stop and reconsider your interactions with your fellow
participants of the list.