Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 13:27:07 -0400

   On 7/24/20 1:15 PM, Davis Remmel wrote:

Fidelman,

Well... I mean that coddling folks

You were literally the first person to respond to OP. Nobody was coddling them.
You're now trying to frame a situation different from reality.

folks who loudly, and authoritatively
pronounce bullshit - particularly when stated as fact

This is also literally what you're doing: trying to state your opinion as fact,
as if you are somehow an arbiter of what kinds of conversation are allowed on th
is mailing list, which also is named "libreplanet-discuss." You are trying to sh
ut down on-topic discussion in a mailing list that is explicitly for that purpos
e.

You are unable to see how you are perpetuating the very problem you claim to wan
t to fix. You say there are "know-nothings" but instead of offering specific, po
int-by-point advice, you make broad generalizations. You explicitly stated that
you want to "shoot down" "know-nothings" -- ask yourself, how does that build a
community where "know-nothings" can turn into "know-somethings"?

   The guy jumps into a group that works on & supports Libre Software, and
   immediately launches an attack, starting with:
----
I read "Free as in Freedom" by Richard Stallman and am a strong supporter of
GNU project. I strongly want it to succeed.

However, when you keep money away from the free software movement, such a
movement cannot survive against people who actively charge money for binaries
without source code.
-----

   I'm sorry, but denouncing the "movement" in the name of supporting it
   and "wanting it to succeed" - that's just being a dick going in.

   And bullshit deserves to be called.

   As opposed to, say, the treatment Stallman got from the community.
   IMO, THAT will be the death of free software.

   Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown