Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 13:18:32 -0400

On 7/24/20 1:00 PM, Amin Bandali wrote:

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> writes:

[...]
To me, the key word is "defend" - and, frankly, when know-nothings
pontificate about why free software is doomed to failure - a strong
defense is called for.  Not a kind defense. Not a polite defense.  A
strong defense.  (IMO)

You (falsely) assume that a strong defence is mutually exclusive with a
kind/polite reply.  On the contrary, I urge you to consider how your ad
hominem attacks deter and distract from the points you try to make, by
instigating a defensive mood in the reader and potentially driving them
away from the community.

Reading your recent posts here, I get the impression that you seem to be
quick to jump to conclusions about people and their backgrounds you may
not know well, and either vilify and assume the worst in them, or try to
belittle them by calling them names.  I doubt anyone, including myself
or you, is born into this world an all-knowing being from day one.
Further, this kind of behaviour does little to encourage learning and
correcting misunderstandings/misconceptions.

Kindness & politeness are more appropriate, when someone is kind and polite in the first place.

When someone spouts bullshit with assumed authority - nah, IMO, neither kindness nor politeness are called for.  If anything, tit-for-tat is the appropriate response.

Now, if the OP had started with a slightly more humble attitude, and asked questions - that would have been a different situation.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown