Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement

From: Davis Remmel
Subject: Re: Practicality of GNU project and libre movement
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 20:09:35 +0000

Miles Fidelman, what's the point of being so rude? Your comments were mostly
un-constructive, and the fact that you aren't able to entertain the OP's
opinions says a lot about your abilities to criticize.

The OP has a good point, that free software is largely restricted by funding,
and while you point out some large successful projects, most free software
projects are not like that. A very topical conversation this month is about
LibreOffice's funding.

> LibreOffice: the next five years
> https://lwn.net/Articles/825598/

Where could free software be if authors were paid equally with their
nonlibre-authoring peers? Why does the FSF only have 14 staff? Why are they
still not able to implement DKIM for their email? The FSF can't even sell
digital goods using all-free software, so what does that say about the state of
things?

Microsoft made $13B of profit in Q4 2019. [1] Free software doesn't even come
close to having that kind of freedom. Even $50M could completely fund a
coherent free operating system on-par with proprietary counterparts.

Furthermore, OP has a valid point about about non-commercial free software
(which is most of it): gratis software is largely unsupported by their authors,
and ordinary users (techno-illiterate) come to expect to get what they pay for.
Graphical free software is confusing, fragmented, and often unsupported. OP is
asking their questions in the context of the masses, who have mostly never
considered how proprietary software swindles them.

I don't think OP is saying that the GNU project is unsuccessful (a subjective
metric anyway), but that compared to commercial-and-proprietary software, it is
a fleck of dust.

Another great example is LibreBoot. If that project, perhaps one of the most
important free software projects, doesn't have the resources to continue after
one author leaves, that is a funding problem. If LibreBoot can't support more
than a dozen motherboards of 10+ year old hardware, let alone supporting their
own organizational structure, that is a funding problem.

Why is this the case? Probably because most free software, not the big
projects, are not professionally run and maintained, because they are not
well-funded and when they are, they are funded by corporate interests for
corporate interests.

Mozilla can't even operate without Google paying them hundreds of millions of
dollars to be the default search engine. [2]

[1]: https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/18/microsoft-earnings-q4-2019/
[2]:
https://www.infoworld.com/article/2609538/who--still--pays-mozilla-s-bills--google--mainly.html

--