Re: VPS providers with libre or no JS

From: Brendan Kidwell
Subject: Re: VPS providers with libre or no JS
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 13:39:44 -0400

On Mon, May 4, 2020, at 12:15, Roberto Beltran via libreplanet-discuss wrote:

> > > I'm trying to run instances of stuff (like nextcloud, searx, matrix,
> > > whatever) and maybe roll out some original stuff, but I don't think
> > > running something out of where I live right now is an option
> >
> > Why? Running a VPS is a non-sovereign path.
>
> Post-pandemic I'll be moving and traveling relatively frequently. I'm
> going to be living in small places, and I'll likely forego having
> internet at home, at least for a while. ...

Yes, always think about your actual needs and goals, and the trade-offs. If you
can't conveniently and expertly host a private server "at home", then you're
just not going to have sovereignty over your server, but maybe that's okay for
you.

I have a server at home and also a VPS at prgmr.com. Sysadmin tasks external to
your Linux or BSD VM itself are accomplished via a TTY over SSH to access their
minimal proprietary dashboard running on a Xen server. I assume that would be
acceptable to you because you're not running their code locally on your machine.

Their BILLING web site does not function at all with JavaScript disabled; it
seems to be a service provided by a third party, with one or two maybe-free
JavaScript libraries missing any license metadata, and a local "app.js" that
has no license metadata.

Perhaps you can work out an agreement with them to avoid using the Billing
dashboard. It's worth emailing their sales people to ask "Can you fix these
issues, or can I be a customer without ever using your billing dashboard?" --
they're a small operation and very responsive. If I recall correctly, it is
possible to pay via paper check or money order, but paying via credit card is
probably impossible without a third party payment portal with non-free JS.

I put the bug in their ear just now in their public chat room, about fixing the
license issues with their billing dashboard javascript. Staff hasn't responded
yet in that context but it wasn't long ago that I started the conversation.

Good luck.