Re: Sharing your free software / quarantine success story

From: Denver Gingerich
Subject: Re: Sharing your free software / quarantine success story
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 04:28:56 +0000

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 08:58:32AM -0400, LM wrote:
> If anyone knows of other Linux users groups that are having meetings
> virtually using Free Software and wouldn't mind if people outside
> their area joined in, would appreciate hearing about them.

The Kitchener-Waterloo Linux User Group (KWLUG) is running their meetings with
BigBlueButton.  You can find general details on how they like you to connect
here:

  https://kwlug.org/node/1209

When I joined for their last meeting on April 6, the "do NOT use the webcam
functionality" instruction had been nixed, and we were encouraged to add as
many people as possible to see how much bandwidth they could use up (it worked
fine for over a dozen participants, possibly 20 or more, with lots of bandwidth
to spare).

For an example of how to specifically connect to this recent meeting I
mentioned above, see:

  https://kwlug.org/node/1192

You can also download a podcast episode that includes the audio that they
recorded from BigBlueButton, linked from that page.

If you want to join an upcoming meeting, there is a list at the following URL,
with the next meeting a little under two weeks away (May 4):

  https://kwlug.org/

Note that times there are listed in Eastern Time (currently UTC-4).

I'm not especially connected with KWLUG, aside from knowing a few people there
and having attended in-person once or twice before.  If you have any questions,
I'm happy to connect you with someone who would know more there.

I'm quite sure they have no problem with new people joining, so feel free to
try it out!

Denver
https://jmp.chat/