Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 120, Issue 5

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 120, Issue 5
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 09:16:07 +0300

* LM <lmemsm@gmail.com> [2020-04-17 21:09]:
> One of the OER mailing lists I'm on shared a link to this page:
> https://thejournal.com/articles/2020/03/13/free-resources-ed-tech-companies-step-up-during-coronavirus-outbreak.aspx
>
> It includes a link to Acer's recommendations for Remote Learning:
> https://eu-acerforeducation.acer.com/uncategorized/remote-learning-a-comparison-among-top-collaboration-tools/
>
> None of the options they promote appear to include an Open Source
> alternative.  Maybe some of us should write or post comments and let
> them know about the Open Source alternatives out there so they have a
> more well-rounded comparison.

There is no need to say it is alternative. It is not alternative. Free
software provides freedom. There is no alternative to freedom, unless
there is other comparable free software.

Explain to people in the manner they can understand. I would tell that
proprietary software is executing unknown commands on the users'
computers and devices and for this reason cannot be trusted.

Users cannot know what the programmer had in mind, and have no chance
to repair the software, find a bug, or with help of other people
review the safety and security of such software.

Programmers thus keep users in slavery. The user becomes a marionette
of the programmer or company making the software.

It is deceptive to say that software is for education and that user
cannot educate oneself on how is that software programmed. It is
suppression of true education.

If Acer wants to provide software for education, then such software
should be free.

Jean