Re: FSF Resign Awards: Call for Nominations

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: FSF Resign Awards: Call for Nominations
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 19:06:24 +0000 (UTC)

   On Monday, September 30, 2019, 2:44:49 PM EDT, Deb Nicholson
   <deb@eximiousproductions.com> wrote:
     On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 1:25 PM Danny Spitzberg
     <[1][1]stationaery@gmail.com> wrote:
           I thought Bradley’s 2018 “state of the copyleft union“ talk at
           LibrePlanet was a rare and important bit of positive
           constructive criticism for free/libre software.
           Sadly, it was met with mixed reactions from the audience-
       including RMS
           who apparently saw it as defeatist, because he yelled “We’re
   not
       licked
           yet!!” and then stormed the stage to give an impromptu
   rebuttal.
           I don’t have much context for other contributions from Bradley,
       but
           that one talk was a breath of fresh air and levelheadedness.
           (Bradly, do you know the whereabouts of that talk, the notes,
   or
       dare I
           imagine, the video?)
   >>>I think the FSF chose not to make that one available. Danny, thank
   you
     also for speaking in favor of constructive criticism. No movement can
     survive an allergy to discussion -- especially the discussion of
     problems and challenges -- such as all too sadly been happening on
   this
     list lately.
     The assumption that any discussion of tactics, or how the free
   software
     movement might respond to changes in society or changes in the
   industry
     is necessarily a smear campaign by Microsoft/Facebook/Etc has been
     extremely tiresome.
     Best,
     Deb
   I found the talk easily on libre planet media.  I thought it was a good
   talk. Bradly called for employees to stop being so afraid of their
   employers and stand up and ask for the software written during
   employment to be made
   copyleft under a free software license (like the gpl v3)  Richard
   Stallman was his usual self, but of course when Bradley mentioned Linux
   he really just meant Linux the kernel.
   [2]State of the copyleft union — GNU MediaGoblin

State of the copyleft union — GNU MediaGoblin

   There wouldn't really be any reason to hide that video.  People who may
   not have joined the FSF or gone to Libre Planet could still benefit
   from it if they care about free software and write software at work.
   Also, maybe some people thought it was defeatist, or thought that maybe
   copyleft was not necessarily the best tool to enforce software
   freedom.  I think the points made in this talk put an end more or less
   to that idea.  It was certainly not a lay down and bsd everything
   talk.