Re: Nominate RMS for FSF award...

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Nominate RMS for FSF award...
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 20:10:59 +0300

Arthur Torrey <arthur_torrey@comcast.net> wrote:
> - the call has just gone out for members to nominatea potential recipients of
> the FSF awards given out at Libre-planet

> I know that I have a hard time coming up with the name of an individual who
> has done more to advance the cause of Free Software

That’s a great idea!

> Minor suggestion for those that feel that RMS has been treated badly in the
> recent controversy

However, I would object about this part.  It does not matter how one thinks Dr.
Stallman was treated, nor for what reason he ultimately retired from FSF.  This
is not a consolation prize, but a well-deserved recognition — actually, the
least one he deserves for his lifetime work.

> In the past as an FSF honcho, RMS has not been eligible, but now that he has
> resigned????

Why so many question marks?  Yes, he is definitely eligible now.

If someone doubts, whether it appropriate to nominate a former FSF staff
member, we have a precedent: the last AoFS award winner — Deborah Nicholson —
had been an FSF employee.

> Even if the decision makers decide to ignore them

Who are they, by the way?  It seems that FSF stop publicly announcing
composition of the jury few years ago.  Why?

--
P. S.
> I am also somewhat uncomfortable with the speculation about RMS being on the
> autism spectrum

+1.