Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Easy to understand way of getting a new comput

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Easy to understand way of getting a new computer already setup out of the box as close as can be to rms' principles.
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 10:41:19 -0700

   No, that is not what I'm hoping to see.  Very few people will ever find
   those links and fewer still have the knowledge to know how to use that
   information.

   Here is a scenario for thought experiment purposes:

   I have a minor role in Berkeley politics.  In this capacity, I
   sometimes have occasion to try to interest the "real" politicians in
   software freedom, both for their own use and for official use by the
   City.   One problem is that there is no material I've ever found on the
   fsf.org website that serves as a good starting point for people.  I
   can't just "give them a link".    The next problem arises if someone
   wants to try getting started.   Even if I hand them a pre-loaded
   device, there is no GNU material to teach them basic GNU (originally
   unix) concepts, basic system administration, and so on.   Or similarly,
   consider the City IT department - a microsoft shop through and
   through.  Good luck finding training materials they can adopt and adapt
   if they want to put GNU systems on staff desktops, or get away from
   proprietary software on City servers.   None of these very basic
   elements are present but my belief is that they would go a long way to
   spreading software freedom.

   If GNU, with *help* from the FSF worked on that, one strategy might be
   to start with very minimal systems -- nearly "classic unix-like" and
   little more -- simply to get a really solid foundation in place, and
   build from there.

   -t