Re: [libreplanet-discuss] No, Stallman isn't "nuts" nor does he deserve

From: Ole Aamot
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] No, Stallman isn't "nuts" nor does he deserve less freedom of speech
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 08:50:39 +0200

I've met and hosted Richard M. Stallman in Oslo, Norway in 1998, and made
two short documentary films on free software/open source movements in
Norway since 1998.

According to
https://www.cnet.com/news/computer-scientist-richard-stallman-resigns-from-mit-after-defending-jeffrey-epstein/
Richard M. Stallman resigned from M.I.T. after defending Jeffrey Epstein
who died August 10, 2019 on csail-related.

GIRL (http://download.gnome.org/sources/girl/) was never a part of GNU,
allthough Richard M. Stallman requested it several times.

GNOME Internet Radio Locator (
http://www.gnome.org/~ole/gnome-internet-radio-locator/gnome-internet-radio-locator.html)
was never part of GNU.  It was actually rejected by the GNU Project itself.

GNOME Radio (http://www.gnomeradio.org/) is a new free software/open source
software project, but will never have anything to do with Richard M.
Stallman or the GNU Project who seeks to dictate and take credit for the
work done by the many volunteers in the free software/open source community
which is a good, international community of both good women and good men
who cooperate on writing, maintaining and documenting free
software/open-source software.

Richard M. Stallman resigned from M.I.T. in 1983 to work on GCC and Emacs,
he became important in the software community, and resigned from M.I.T. and
Free Software Foundation in 2019.

A good book on Stallman's views is Sam Williams' Free as in Freedom:
Richard Stallman's Crusade for Free Software (ISBN 0-596-00287-4).

Best,
Ole Aamot