Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The most appreciable URL Shortener?...

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The most appreciable URL Shortener?...
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 19:24:42 -0500

Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo wrote:
The only good excuse I ever had for a URL shortener is a choice of technology combination or misuse, like one is browsing on a desktop and want to send a message using a mobile containing something they just browsed.

I quite agree with the objection to URL shorteners including pointing out how technically unnecessary they are.

There's one other instance where it might make no difference to use one, however: if the resource being pointed to also hosts the short URL. For example, RT.com news stories each have a short URL. It makes no sense to me why they have the long URL in the first place, but that's how that site works. I believe Atlassian wiki instances also give each article a long title-based URL (which users see by default) and a short permalink.

In both of these cases there's no spying risk beyond visiting the site (and link tracking is another reason people use URL shorteners; it's an unjustifiable reason).