Re: [libreplanet-discuss] resources about mailing lists vs. forums (e.g.

From: U'll Be King Of The Stars
Date: Sat, 4 May 2019 21:00:06 +0100

On 04/05/2019 14:22, Sudarshan S Chawathe wrote:
> It may be interesting to consider also an architecture like USENET/NNTP
> in this context.  It is not without flaws, but it admits some additional
> options in highly-loaded situations, such as prioritizing pushing of
> articles to peer servers over serving connections from clients.

Usenet was one of my favorite things about the internet.  I would love
for it to be revived.

I've been trying to assemble a fairly complete archive of Usenet (minus
the binary groups, you know what I mean) because it was a goldmine of
information and such a cool way of communicating.  There is a gigantic
hole in the 1990's and nobody seems to have archives.

At the time I wanted to run my own INN node eventually.  By the time it
became possible for me to set up anything resembling a
server-on-the-Internet, Usenet was pretty much over.

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9