[libreplanet-discuss] [gnu.org #1362369] Re: list setup

From: Ian Kelling via RT
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] [gnu.org #1362369] Re: list setup
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 13:02:56 -0400

On Sat Feb 23 07:12:19 2019, 321942@gmail.com wrote:
> Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> >> The name itself suggests that this thing is supposed to mangle MIME
> >> messages by design, so it is not surprising, that their integrity is
> >> broken.  I cannot imagine a single valid reason to mangle mail that
> >> is passing through a list, whether MIME or legacy, though.
> >
> > The libreplanet-discuss mailing list adds a subject tag
> > "[libreplanet-discuss] " and a footer…
> >
> > Personally I dislike these and would love to see them removed from
> > all
> > mailing lists.
>
> Me too.
>
> > However they have been in use for a long time and many
> > people (pedantically incorrectly) use the subject tag for mail
> > filtering and many people need to see the footer to remind them how
> > unsubscribe from the list.
> >
> > Fortunately adding these will not cause a properly signed message to
> > fail signature validation.
>
> So there are two options: (1) to debug it to find what wrong it does
> with some mail besides harmlessly appending a footer; (2) take a
> determined decision and for all that disable any body processing
> entirely.  Prefixing subject with a list name, I believe, is done by
> separate facility, so that’s another question.

I'm working on upgrading the server, then I will look into this. I
will see if removing the footer helps. Footer and subject prefixes
are likely going away for other reasons anyways.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF