Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ethical edtech edit-a-thon
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 21:08:48 +0300

Erin Glass <erglass@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> I'm writing to let you know about the 'Ethical Ed Tech
> <https://ethicaledtech.info/wiki/Meta:Welcome_to_Ethical_EdTech>' wiki and
> edit-a-thon on April 3 that may be of interest to the free software
> community.

Looks interesting.  And the first thing that strikes in the eye right at the
main page is a tag cloud with distinct categories for ‘free/libre’ [1] and
‘open source’ software [2].  What definitions of that terms do you use, so this
is required?  Afair, Wikipedia’s experience showed, that so fine yet vague
categorizations tend to be faulty.

Actually, the wiki in question already features ‘open source’ yet _not_
‘free/libre’ Atom, CommentPress, Pandoc, Omeka, GitLab, Hypothesis and
LibreOffice, with no examples of the opposite.

The only commentary, that explain this oddity concerns Atom [3]:

> It is open source, under the MIT license, but is not free/libre.

But what is that supposed to mean?  Of course, a program, published in sources
under any of ‘MIT licences’ (here — under the Expat licence), _is_ free in any
sense of that word!

[1] https://ethicaledtech.info/wiki/Category:Free/libre
[2] https://ethicaledtech.info/wiki/Category:Open_source
[3] https://ethicaledtech.info/wiki/Atom