Re: [libreplanet-discuss] list setup

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] list setup
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 15:11:34 +0300

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

>> The name itself suggests that this thing is supposed to mangle MIME
>> messages by design, so it is not surprising, that their integrity is
>> broken.  I cannot imagine a single valid reason to mangle mail that
>> is passing through a list, whether MIME or legacy, though.
>
> The libreplanet-discuss mailing list adds a subject tag
> "[libreplanet-discuss] " and a footer…
>
> Personally I dislike these and would love to see them removed from all
> mailing lists.

Me too.

> However they have been in use for a long time and many
> people (pedantically incorrectly) use the subject tag for mail
> filtering and many people need to see the footer to remind them how to
> unsubscribe from the list.
>
> Fortunately adding these will not cause a properly signed message to
> fail signature validation.

So there are two options: (1) to debug it to find what wrong it does with some
mail besides harmlessly appending a footer; (2) take a determined decision and
for all that disable any body processing entirely.  Prefixing subject with a
list name, I believe, is done by separate facility, so that’s another question.