[libreplanet-discuss] Linked Data, Solid, and the FSF

From: Michael Rauch
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Linked Data, Solid, and the FSF
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 11:42:11 +0100

On 16.01.2019 03:28, Tom wrote:
> So I'm wondering, what are the views of those involved with the FSF
> regarding linked data and Solid?  I'm wondering mainly about long term
> goals and ideals but am also interested in technical aspects as far as
> I'm able to understand them.

My personal view on RDF/LinkedData is that it opens up integration
possibilities for data and applications. Decentralization and openness
are at the core of the concepts and protocols. Therefore I see it as a
natural fit for any decentralized, bottom-up and open ecosystem.

I consider RDF/LinkedData still to be a niche and I see a need to lower
the barrier of entry to increase its adoption. I think that projects
like Wikidata and Openstreetmap are good catalysts.

As others have already mentionend, ActivityPub is workable and already
implemented in several projects [1]

1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActivityPub#Notable_implementations

Cheers,
Michael