Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 23:12:44 +0000

i would argue that use of open core software in and of itself is bad
anyway, because it encourages and promotes this practise of having
proprietary versions of software

On 16/01/2019 22:57, bill-auger wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 14:09:00 +0000 Lyberta wrote:
>> https://lyberta.net/articles/tech/free_sw_untrusted.html
>
> i think you are quite mistaken about JUCE - it does indeed contain
> a phone "home feature"; which caused a huge fuss within the
> community, which lasted for about 2 days, until everyone realized
> how harmless and un-intrusive it actually was
>
> that anti-feature is a restriction only on those who opt in for
> the free tier of the commercial license; in order to write
> proprietary software with JUCE without a licensing fee - so any
> JUCE-based program with that feature enable is almost certainly not
> "free software"
>
> but JUCE may also be taken as GPL, which naturally gives the
> developer and all users the option to disable that feature (and any
> other undesirable ones) - those features are fully disclosed and
> simple to disable with a single #define
>
> #define JUCER_ENABLE_GPL_MODE 1
>
> doing so, will disable the new anti-features by default in any
> program you create with your copy of JUCE, including the one in
> question here:
>
> #define JUCE_REPORT_APP_USAGE 0
>
> that is done in the same way and in the same file as where all
> JUCE sub-features have been enabled/disabled all along, along with
> others such as:
>
> #define JUCE_USE_FLAC 1 #define JUCE_USE_OGGVORBIS 1

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.

Support computer user freedom
https://sfconservancy.org/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/